Help. CPU overload in Ableton

Hello,
i m on Windows, so i sadly don’t know this “Midi studio”. And i never experienced CPU spikes, just by assigning more buttons. So i dont know if you have another sort of issue there, but let me give you little advice:
Here’s what i would do:

• check the task manager /activity monitor, and analyze in detail what app is causing what CPU usage. Don’t forget to check GPU (Graphics) Usage!
  • check if Ableton and OSC Pilot are running on your dedicated graphics card or not. And then test, if the performance increases, when you force them to run on the dedicated graphics card.

For me, it was the behavior of the Windows Window-Manager, which cause lot of CPU and GPU usage and decreased my Ableton performance! (windows automatically loads such tasks, to handle multi-monitor setups, and i can’t do anything about it.)

Here’s a thread i created here, which was about performance in Windows 11

In my experience, OSCPilot adds +10% CPU to the system [in conjunction with the multi-window and graphics management! not on its own.] , and 20-50% of GPU, depending on the OS-driver-behavior, (multi window- management dependent), and depending on the graphicscard.

When i open three instances of OSC Pilot, my internal GPU of my laptop is overwhelmed, and i get severe lags. MIGHT be the case with one instance of OSC if you have a very bad laptop.

Although i could use OSC Pilot on the same machine, i decided to run it on my old PC, and connect both via USB-to-midi adapter (ESI MIDIMATE). This way i can load more VSTs into Ableton without dropouts :slight_smile:

1 Like