Please help: Can OSC Pilot do the following

Hi,
I m really interested in buying oscpilot, yet, i wonder if it can fit my needs.

What i love to do is: looping voice, Instruments and many VST Instruments with a Boss Rc505, using Gig Performer 3 as a VST host. Now i want to fully transition to Ableton, giving me more looping tracks, more effects, etc. BUT: i hate how cluttered Ableton tends to look with huge livesets.
I want to fully replace the Ableton interface with something like oscpilot.

Mainly, i want to see three sections on my touchscreen (windows10 laptop).

The first section: A nice overview-list of all my favorite VST presets/patches, well-ordered in sections, color coded, easily scrollable via swiping. (Like the VST list on the left side of GigPerformer or Mainstage, but more beautiful :wink: Is swipe-movement of a vertical List or swipe-movement of a segment full of buttons even possible? I mean “scrolling” through a vertical list of many pressable Vst-Instrument-buttons.

The second section: Shows the loaded VSTs Name, or VSTs (if layered), with individually customized controls in focus of the view, e.g. Cutoff Knob, Reverb Knob, … And with some hand-selected information about the values of certain parameters. Because i need some visual feedback on certain Parameters, which usually are shown in each respective VST plugin: e.g.: in case of Kontakt-Libraries: there has to be a way to see which keyswitch-note is currently active.

The third section: Basically emulating the visual feedback and usability a Boss RC 505 gives.
E.g.: showing 5 or better yet 8 big looper buttons which show the progress-status of each loop in real time. And which show the mode each looper is currently running (record/overdub/play).

Thank you so much for help,
Phil

1 Like

I think one of the main things we’re missing that you need is MIDI feedback coming from Ableton back to your widgets. This is getting higher on my list.

3 Likes

Thanks for putting Midi-Feedback higher on your list :smile: Would be an awesome christmas present, haha :christmas_tree:

Hello again, any updates that make my dream possible yet? :slight_smile:

Everything could be done with ableton clyphx and osculator, if you want to actually do live looping with windows processing everything I suggest you to measure your dpc latency and check if your computer is capable of doing so before diving deeper. You cannot get feedback from rc-505, but you can set it up to start/stop/record/clear/startAll/stopAll it is limited to rc-505. Not sure about mk2 version…

Hi there,
i m not sure what you mean by “everything could be done with ableton clyphx and osculator”

I guess you’ve miss-interpreted my text: I don’t want to use my RC505, i want to replace it, by re-creating the structure of the RC505 in OSC/Pilot, controlling Ableton Clip-Recording or Ableton Looper Plugins: So OSC/Pilot should show 5 (better more) Loop-Rings, giving visual feedback of the progress of the Ableton-Clip or Abeton-Looper-Plugin. (and also showing the name of the clip/Looper-Plugin-Track which was given in Ableton) → is that possible? How is it done? :smiley:

Since some months now, “Loopy Pro” is out. Sadly it’s only for Ipad. If you watch a video of Loopy Pro, you’ ll know exactly what i want to do and have with OSC/Pilot and my WindowsTouchLaptop.
My DPC Latency is fine btw., which can be seen here ( i got similar results):
Dell XPS 17 9710 11th Gen Intel Laptop Review: Small Changes That Matter - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

If you can speak Python, the language of snakes, then everything is possible with Clyphx pro.

I havent bought Pilot yet. I am currently using a Touch OSC template that uses Mackie protocol through SYSEX communication. I’m guessing their software was coded to do this in Python already, and it needs the LUA script to tell it to do so. Im not sure about that. Anyway, the features in that script work like a Mackie programmed control surface that can get the track names and fader positions out of Ableton. These are a few features that don’t seem to be abundant on the market with touch device apps that provide control peripherals to daws and plugins. Maybe this tech will improve in short time, its been 10yrs with stuff like this on the market, Im surprised not a lot of it is more capable of cross communication.

I was wondering if getting more info out of Ableton would be possible with PILOT. Does ableton even send out clock/timecode or position info if you want to display that ?
It would also be awesome to get info like track color, name, and if its possible to get plugin control names when you assign them to controls in pilot. I’m not sure, I guess its just easier to set all this up manually with the software than it is to ask about it or try to learn programming languages to make something myself.
As far as I know, a lot of the stuff mentioned above, requires M4L as a bridge to some of the more embedded information that is possible for Ableton to send out. It sounds stupid to have to add a M4L device to every track for that to happen.

It’s much cooler if any of the info visible in a plugin or DAW was easily accessable, so building control pages in a software like PILOT is
more fluous or automatic in nature for these things to happen. It would make things feel more unified, and organized.

It’s really an Ableton question. Yes, you’d need to use M4L to get a lot information out via OSC. OSC/PAR does output some extra information though from Ableton without needing M4L, so you may want to look at the docs for that to see if that helps at all (sorry, no demo version for OSC/PAR)

Sadly i m no parseltongue :grinning:

May i ask how it is called so i can look at this touch osc interface?
I m a bit confused that you use “fader position” as example, because, as soon as a fader is assigned via Midi Cc in touch osc/ Osc/Pilot, the Fader Movement is directly shown in the touch interface.
Showing Track Names, Clip Names, Clip-Playing-Progress , that’s where no easy communication path like the midiCC assignment is available. And that s also where my knowledge ends, sadly, haha.
All i know is: There are incredibly awesome Touch-Control-Solutions for Ableton, which directly show Track Names, Clip Names, ClipPlaybackProgress, even Devices and every Parameter of them. Best example is Touchable Pro. It uses a remote script in Ableton. Sadly, the touchable pro developers abandoned their own project since 2021, and to me it s unusable now. I wish i d know more about software development, i d try my best to make a remote script which sends out all those vital infos to a touch osc software. OSCPAR seems far from being a solution, as its main purpose isnt to deliver all necessary infos for OSC interfaces to finally look like “touchable Pro”
(Oveview of touchable : https://youtu.be/WHMWIcCn9_8)

Edit: i found “remotify”, an app which seems to allow the user to build a remote script for Ableton without any python knowledge.
But: it also seems to be focused on normal hardware controllers, . Although i found a forum entry which looks promising. (Still, i wouldnt know how to achieve anything like touchable pro with this remotify app, without a direct Tutorial for it :joy: which doesnt seem to exist

Maybe its more useful to send the template. I could copy/paste the code for you to look through, but thats probably useless, compared to having the file. Most of the scripts of interest are in the main top group bracket called ‘Untitled’. Please let me know what you find out about this. Im sort of curious how this functions…

(Attachment ΔDELTA OSC 4.4.tosc is missing)

Hey, I dont want to give out all my secrets :smiley: But i can guide you in to the right direction, what you need is latest ClyphX, it has all the things you need without actually programming, if you work with sysex msg then chataigne, so you control basic stuff with clyphx and route it to chataigne, clyphx has function to remember up to 1k parameters by just clicking 1 button. Other key ingredient is in this thread https://forum.nativekontrol.com/thread/3620/beta-osc-output-clyphx-pro
If you really want to make touch interface that is viable use oscpilot-touchosc and just keep experimenting that’s the most important part.

Thank you, i found the Touch OSC template makers facebook group now, where the people seem to share their templates.

haha, i understand, because often times the secrets took 100 hours to find out, and it feels heavy to share this hard-found-knowledge

absolutely, i already had fun to make a huge interface with OSC/Pilot (for 24’ screen!)
Building Time many weeks, with constant live-testing if it’s good for LIVE.
The only things i m missing would be

• volume meters in or next to the Faders
  • Progress-Bar of currently playing Clip in each Track
  • Clipname of currently playing Clip
    And for a second OSC Page , i would create a huge Launchpad-Style grid with all clips/clipnames/clip-progress-bars.
    But i honestly don’t think i will be able to achieve this, because i need a more fool-proof tutorial, than the one given at https://forum.nativekontrol.com/thread/3620/beta-osc-output-clyphx-pro
    It’s a pity the creator of this ClyphX OSC didnt give a step-by-step video . Thanks though for telling about chataigne. I guess when i will find a time capsule with several months of time, i can figure it (clyphx->OSC) all out without a tutorial.

here you can see where i m at, at the moment :slight_smile: good enough already, maybe i should make more music, and forget about clyphx

I strongly advise you to look at the Showcase section in the TouchOSC discord group; everything can be done without using clyphx. :slight_smile:

1 Like