ADDED: Send OSC without Argument

First of all, thanks for the constant support and updates with this software. It is far better than a lot of what is currently on offer given the power of its flexibility.

Can you add a feature to allow you to send an OSC command without an Argument?

I have seen further down in the forum that you pushed an update allowing the use of Integers and Strings and that is a great add, but I have a few applications that just require the command with no argument after. I notice that if I leave either the OSC ON or OFF fields blank it simply won’t send that command. I think there may need to be an option to send the command with no argument if the field is left empty. Equally if the user placed a special character in the box it would send On or OFF with no argument?

Possible or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. Yea, there’s no way to do that right now. I’m trying to think what the UI would be that would allow for that. A special character wouldn’t work since it’s possible someone would want that character to be sent as their string. I’ll try to think of something though

Thanks Malcolm,

Understood on the character, that makes sense and may cause another issue later down the line for someone!

Maybe a simple tick box, to turn each field on or off? Or could this be global in the main settings.

Thanks.

Is it even necessary to change the UI for that?
What about sending the message without argument if OSC on/off are empty,
but an OSC address is given?

Currently that means don’t send the message at all. For example for cases where people want something sent when a button is pressed, but nothing sent when it’s released.

So this could still mean:
Both values empty, but address given → send address only.

But I understand that this is somewhat inconsistent, I was thinking from the “simple UI” side only. Maybe a check box “send address only” would be better, the presence of values could then decide WHEN to send the address.

Yeah that’s the issue, just clearing the fields doesn’t say when to send it. A checkbox would work for sure. I’m just always trying to think of ways to keep the UI from becoming overloaded with options

No address → don’t send OSC
Address given, but both values empty → Send without argument

I would consider this only useful being sent on press / on, not on release / off.

Address given, only LOW value given → Send on release / off only (LOW value)
Address given, only HIGH value given → Send on press / on only (HIGH value)
Address given, both values given → Send on press / on (HIGH value) and on release / off (LOW value)

Btw, I just tested the (Multi-)Buttons and it seems they are ALWAYS “single OSC address”, no matter if the option is ticked or not. Or I don’t get how to input different OSC addresses for the buttons…

Ya good point, I can see that making sense.

The extra addresses are automatically built from the single address you provide, by appending an index to them. In the latest build you put a # in the address to decide where the index goes.

Here’s a daily build with this functionality included:
https://software.mau5trap.com/OSCpilot-Installer-v1.4.1.exe
Let me know if you have any issues.

Hi Malcolm, this works a treat! Thanks for getting this in.

Works as suggested, cool!
Two tiny things that feel odd to me:

1. I would expect OSC ON to be first the row, then OFF as the ON value is sent first and is the “more important” one.
  2. When you clear the OSC address “/” is always left. This is kind of confusing as OSC address has to be EMPTY if you don’t want the message to be sent. Suggestion if your intention was to help the user not to forget the first “/”: If the user enters an OSC address without “/” in front, just add it then.

Anything else to check in 1.4.1. while we’re at it? :slight_smile:

Short addition:
‘#’ in OSC address does not work for me as expected in 1.4.1
Modifying a button in default layout to /PLAY_R/#/x outputs /PLAY_R/#/x and not /PLAY_R/1/x

The # only works for Buttons and Sliders, not Button. A single button doesn’t support # since there is nothing to replace, there’s only one of them. I should make it so it doesn’t accept # though for clarity. Or am I misunderstanding you? It works a correctly for Buttons for me

Agreed about the /, I’ll make it so that can be removed. Ya, I’m trying to make it easier to put the leading / in the address there and not forget it.

Ooooh, my bad! I didn’t read properly.
I thought the ‘#’ would represent the number of the page the control is on and
actually didn’t see too much use in it…
Now it makes perfect sense to have ‘#’ represent the number of a button or fader
in the multi-button/fader! I wouldn’t block ‘#’ for other controls, I just misread the
explanation.

What I always like in such apps are switchable tooltipps in the edit window.
(if you are not sure what I mean, search for pictures of “windows tooltips”).
These special tweaks you did for the “send OSC without argument” for example
are always a little hard to remember when not using the editor all the time. And
it is annoying to always search in the manual. I find it handy to just turn on tooltipps
and then getting short explanations when hovering over the switches and values.